Welcome to the Guyana Association of Georgia
The Guyana Association of Georgia Inc. is a non-profit organization formed in 1991. Its mission is "to provide an organized association, willing, disciplined and motivated to serve Guyanese at home and abroad, and the community as a whole". 2008
Its vision is "to have an organization of excellence; committed to continuous improvement, dedicated to serve our native land, our members and the community".
The Association acts as a channel for disseminating information on social issues, national, regional, local government and economics. Its main purpose is to design, implement and establish an educational link with all peoples, and to help promote unity among Guyanese-Americans and their community.
Funding for GAOG comes from membership dues, fundraising activities, sponsorship and donations.
The association is governed by its members who elect a Board of Directors consisting of eleven officers: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Secretary-Treasurer and six Trustees. The executive board is elected to office for one year. Its members can serve in the same office for a maximum of two consecutive terms. Each member of the Board of Trustees serves a term of three years. The 11-member Board manages the Association and adopts policies and procedures for its benefit.
- Continue with the "Aid to Guyana" program, e.g. adopt a school and send supplies, etc.
- Continue our "Feed the Hungry" program
- Enhance the "tutorial" classes by offering a program for younger children, and by expanding within the community
- Enhance our scholarship program
- Provide more health seminars, e.g. stress
- Introduce seminars for youths, e.g. dealing with peer pressure, drugs, etc.
- Communicate with Guyanese associations throughout the United States
- Expand our community participation
- Encourage more sponsorship
- Continue our efforts to acquire our own building
Climate in Guyana
Guyana is 83,000 square miles in area and is located on the northeastern shoulder of the South American continent. The Atlantic Ocean stretches for 270 miles along the coast of Guyana; this vast area extends into the interior for a further 450 miles. Guyana borders on Venezuela in the west, Brazil in the south, and Suriname in the east.